Kveik imperial stout - Brewery Portal - Omnipollo Brygd clone-ish

Please share your recipes ideas, or post a recipe that you want some feedback on. Successful recipes can be added to our Recipe Database for other MiniBrewers to use. Please contact an admin.
Eelco
Site Admin
Reactions:

Recently I did some Voss Kveik experiments. I brewed a NEIPA and an IPA using Voss Kveik. Both drink-able but not really impressive. Since the Voss Kveik is a bottom fermenting yeast it is quite easy to harvest. Another advantage to mention due to bottom fermentation the keg is quite easy to clean!

The next experiment was a big stout. Fredrik inpired me to brew an Omnipollo Brygd. The fermentation was done in about two days. And I took my first sip after 7 days. Quite promising!

Two weeks after brewing
Now after two weeks I am happy with the results. The one I brewed was over a 100 IBU. I think this is a bit too much. To make it more accessible I added 12 coffee sweeteners (lactose based). And that worked. Yesterday I had a small tasting session together a Pohjala Baltic Pride. I have to say it was quite a competition. I might even like my stout better. The recipe attached I made some small adjustments (lower IBU and a bit less Molasses)

Lets talk number
According to the brewery portal it should have reached (my first version) 1.102, got a 1.096. This is probably due to the fact that dark malts interfere with the pH causing it to lower the efficiency. Using this knowledge created a double mash adding the dark malts in a separate mash.
https://grainfather.com/dark-malts-and- ... n-mash-ph/
My FG was 1.024 so the calculated ABV would be around 9%

I got inspired by this recipe (posted by Fredrick):
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... tout-brygd
Since I did not have the Crystal40L in stock I used some CaraAmber and and Special B.

Conclusion
My best Kveik brew so far. A stout a really enjoy. Due to the double mash it is more hassle to brew but certainly worth the trouble. Rating: 8.5
Brewery Portal - Omnipollo Brygd clone-ish.pdf
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Citronsyra
Reactions:

Wow, great that it turned out so well! Especially after all the struggle if I remember correct ;)

Soon I will for sure do my own interpretation of it :D
Eelco
Site Admin
Reactions:

It is really nice (even during this summer weather). Thanks for the inspiration. Yup during this brew my MiniBrew broke down.. Waiting for it to get repaired.
Citronsyra
Reactions:

Yes, I really enjoy a good stout all year round. So will look for a good "base" recipe that I then can expand my horizon with different flavours.

Damn, hope you get it fixed soon so you can brew again.
rudyw
Reactions:

perhaps superfluous, but still:
a bit of pH-tuning might be in place, as well as some water-treatment with CaSO4&MgSO4 (or CaCl2 for other places)?
...and take care to ensure the Kveik has enough nutrients! Kveiks are known to stall upon deficiencies of nutrient or sugar, or a sudden temperature drop (in that latter case, an approach that works quite well is to add some sugar to restart fermentation). [btw, a staged fermentation (+sugar and/or +otheryeast could be an alternative to the double-mash]
hope this helps, cheers!