RECIPE: New England IPA (drinkable in 10 days)

Please share your recipes ideas, or post a recipe that you want some feedback on. Successful recipes can be added to our Recipe Database for other MiniBrewers to use. Please contact an admin.
Kristian
Reactions:

"What a Hophead!"

IMG_20200531_122808.jpg
IMG_20200531_122808.jpg (293.35 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

When I first tried the "Get To The Hoppa" BrewPack I was really excited to see, that in only 10 days such a good, fresh, fruity beer with a very creamy and full, nearly sweet mouthfeel has been created. The hops and grain composition of the BrewPack works great together and the Fermentis SafAle US-05 yeast does its job well without any unexpected off flavours from the fermentation. I really recommend buying this BrewPack and try it out yourself if you like the very special NEIPA (New England IPA) beer style.

Two things about brewing this beer were completely new to me. All the boiling hops are added at 0 minutes just before cooling, so no bittering hops was added. And the dry hopping is done during "high kräusen" on the third day so biofermentation can happen, where the yeast starts to ferment parts of the hops oils which may (or may not) have impact on the hops aroma and taste.

I was so curious about the way this beer has been created, that I instantly decided to create such a recipe on my own.

Since I have brewed an NEIPA (Julius Clone) in the past I started to reuse it's grain bill and hops selection for my first attempt which did not work so well. Mouthfeel was flat and dry and there was a strange grassy off flavour which I think must have come from the used Apollo hops which brings in nearly 18% alpha acid. This usually is used for bittering and during biofermentation this may have been the cause for this mismatch in the expected taste. In comparison on how well the Apollo hops work out for Julius where no biofermentation is being done, I could only think of this being the cause.

Version #2

For the second version I decided to add oat flakes to the grain bill to increase the typical haziness of the NEIPA beer style and bring in the creamy mouthfeel I was missing in the first batch.
This worked out very well. The grassy off flavour was completely gone, the beer (see it on the picture) is very hazy and the tropical, mainly citric hop aroma is simply great. The only thing that still needed some work was the bitterness.

Since I like bitter beers I decided to use bittering hops and set up an IBU of 36 which I thought my be a good start. But now that I have tasted the beer, I think the approach of adding no bittering hops during the boil might deserve some attention.

Version #3

For Version #3 I decided to only add hops after the boil has finished, like the "Get To The Hoppa" BrewPack. Maybe this is the key for the beer I am looking for but maybe I will miss bitterness. We will see as soon as I get to brew it. I added some wheat flakes and wheat malt to the grain bill and hope to further improve mouthfeel and raise a little sweetness. From Version #2 I learned that it would require one more trub container cycle because I added 30gr dry hops which is hardly removed together with the yeast with only 3 conditioning stages. This is currently the cause why it takes 11 days from brew to drink.

Last edited by Kristian on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlanC
Reactions:

Please- if I used a hop spider, would the conditioning stages work out better? Also because the hops are contained and so maybe not as effective, would I need to add more to the spider to get the same flavour? Many thanks
Kristian
Reactions:

Hey Alan!
Yes, I think when using a hop spider the efficiency may suffer so adding 20% should help. Removing the yeast would nevertheless require two conditioning stages.
Please take in mind that using a hop spider raises the risk of oxidation which for the NEIPA beer style is the biggest enemy. So after removing the hop spyder you should purge the keg with CO2 to evacuate the air that has come in.
AlanC
Reactions:

Many thanks- a very swift response. Much appreciated.
I could not access this recipe via the website index and it didn’t show up via the search. I used the Facebook link. Please can this be sorted as it is a worthwhile addition to the list. Cheers
Citronsyra
Reactions:

Yes, adding 20-30% hops, like Kristian said, when using a hop spider is a good way to compensate for bad exchange. It is said to be in relation to the
fine mesh (holes) in the hop spider. If it is 200um, 400um or what ever it can be.
Tuur
Reactions:

AlanC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:43 am
I could not access this recipe via the website index and it didn’t show up via the search. I used the Facebook link. Please can this be sorted as it is a worthwhile addition to the list. Cheers
Hi Alan!

All the recipes are here: viewforum.php?f=11

The starting point for the forum is index.php

And when I type 'new england' in the search box this thread does come up, so maybe you typed in something else?

Best,

Arthur.
Kristian
Reactions:

The search is broken any ways. Don't know why but searching recipe does not give any results, even if searching for "recipe:" did not help. There must be a bug.
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: recipe.
I don't think this limitation is helpful.
Tuur
Reactions:

Kristian wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 am
The search is broken any ways. Don't know why but searching recipe does not give any results, even if searching for "recipe:" did not help. There must be a bug.
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: recipe.
I don't think this limitation is helpful.
Ah, let's call in the boss. 😉
Guerrilla wrote: Testing 1-2-3. Does this work?
Citronsyra
Reactions:

Tuur wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:17 am
AlanC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:43 am
Hi Alan!

All the recipes are here: viewforum.php?f=11

The starting point for the forum is index.php

And when I type 'new england' in the search box this thread does come up, so maybe you typed in something else?

Best,

Arthur.
Yes, all the recipes "currently in discussion" is at the forum site ;) but all the recipes added to the "Recipe Database" doesnt show all in discussion.

This....
app.php/recipes

So searching for recipes that way will not show the recipes in discussion ;)

It might be a bit confusing to find some recipes on one location and other at an other location ;)

Is it possible to connect discussions in forum with a reciepe in the database?
Tuur
Reactions:

Citronsyra wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:32 am
This....
app.php/recipes

So searching for recipes that way will not show the recipes in discussion ;)
Ah! 💡